Contacting Court/Legal Advice
It is the policy of the Northern District of Oklahoma that contacting Judges chambers directly is prohibited. All correspondence with the Judge should be in writing (typically by filing in the action). Any questions should be directed to the Clerk's Office.
Advice From the Clerk's Office
Clerk's Office staff cannot give "legal advice" or "practice law" as they are prohibited under Title 28 U.S.C. Section 955. Examples of legal advice include the following:
- Explain the meaning of a specific rule or order.
- Make an interpretation of case law.
- Explain the result of taking or not taking action in a case.
- Answer whether jurisdiction is proper in a case.
- Answer whether a complaint properly presents a claim.
Clerk's Office staff can provide instructions on how to execute a task (e.g. use of forms, etc.), or provide information as to compliance with this Court's policies.